Translate

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Samurai earns first CPE Agility Title



Two fun little runs.

Samurai earned his first CPE title with two nice, fast runs in Jumpers. He finished both 14-obstacle runs in 22 seconds, ranking as the fastest dog, all heights. Most importantly, he stayed with me and did not break away to “hunt zombies.” This was a big victory for the little guy. Sami took home his CL2-F title, formally known as CPE Level 2 Fun. The title represents two Qs each in FullHouse and Jumpers. 

I ran cautiously on this one. We have worked very hard on Sam's reactive issues in the past few months and it's very hard to just let go when the downside is a very slippery slope. I'm hoping that with confidence I can start to let him run more freely again. I'm not sure whether it's possible to bridge that divide successfully, but control seems to be the bigger priority at this point in helping us to have a career at all.

As it is, our time was still pretty good, so the lack of free running seems worth the trade off at this point, anyway. Most importantly, Samurai seems focused and is happily running with me, not tempted at all by distractions.

What you don't see here is a few seconds at the beginning of the video where he looks away at the start line to stare back at the people behind him. He then turns back to me, seemingly having made the tough decision to hang in with me rather than chase "offenders."  He shakes it off, a stress reliever, and starts off running toward me. All things considered, that little moment was the biggest victory of all.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Congrats Sammi & Barb!I know how tough it's been lately. The clip of his run looks great. I miss training with you. After Amy's wedding in May, I hope to be able to hit many more trials with Willow. I'm thinking about spaying her--her hormones are getting in the way of trialing & training. River & I are repeating Agilty 4 class. He had a bad experience on the teeter, & we are back at square one. He is also a worrier, & can be distracted easily. I plan to be in Springfield April 7th!

ViewFr4Inch said...

Thanks Debbie! Sami and I miss seeing you! Congrats on your daughter's wedding! Be very patient with River and don't be afraid to go back to square one on the teeter. He needs to know he has control over the tip. Take care!